Welcome to the rewatch for episode 19 of Fringe season 2 – “Brown Betty”. Join us as we scamper through the wild imagination of Walter Bishop with Peter’s glass heart in our hands and glee on our faces.
We have renamed this episode: Once Upon A Bong.
Newly Observed Perspectives
- Seeing Ella call Walter “Uncle” always gives me the shivers. It’s interesting to compare Ella’s care-free childhood to Olivia tortured youth at around the same age. Although one could argue that Ella hasn’t exactly had it easy being raised by Olivia’s sister.
- This episode is mostly useful for picturing the way in which Walter sees the members of his odd little family unit, and the likes of Bell, Nina, the Observers and even Olivia’s sister. My thoughts haven’t changed from the first time round so I wont go into repeat mode, but it’s interesting that his imagination attributes more than an air of danger and hostility to the Observers, and that he portrays them as being employees of Massive Dynamic. Perhaps this is an aspect of his story that doesn’t quite tally with the reality of the show, unless Nina is an even bigger liar than we thought? Or perhaps the Observers do work for Massive Dynamic, but a ‘future’ version of the company, so to speak? But to be honest, Walter was as high as a kite, so I’m not going to give it too much additional thought.
- Why didn’t Walter include Ella in his fairytale? I mean, R@chel gets a spot but not the person you’re telling the story to, Walter?
- The alternate endings are a nice touch, I guess (if a bit contrived). They do their thing but they also allude to the duality of the show’s alternate universes. The two endings are a useful way to look at perspective, and the way in which different outlooks can evoke different choices, outcomes..realities.
- Not quite the least rewatchable episode that I’ve encountered on this journey, mostly because of the unintentional humor, but I’ll leave it at that.
Best retrospective performer: John Noble
Best retrospective moment: Stella.
Retrospective episode rating: 2/10
Next rewatch episode – 2.20 “Northwest Passage” – TBA.