Welcome to the rewatch for episode 21 of Fringe season 2 – “Over There – Part 1″. Join us as we go undercover on the other side in search of Peter and any new perspectives.
We have renamed this episode: Worlds Apart – Part 1.
Newly Observed Perspectives
- Not a new perspective, but I do think it’s interesting just how public the alternate universe Fringe Division are compared to their counterparts on the other side. It says a lot about the respective worlds.
- In rewatching this episode with new eyes, alternate Fringe Division’s preparedness to sacrifice themselves at the site of the anomaly now seems less extreme. I think it’s because I have a better understanding of the consequences that the other side has to deal with. Altlivia and company are so at ease with the risks that their job entails because they have to be, and they’re used to it. In some ways it can be compared to Olivia and Peter’s preparedness to risk their lives at the bomb site in “Ability“. In other words, you don’t know what you’re capable of until you have to do it. So I find that interesting to see further evidence that it really is a matter of perspective – what may seem strange form a certain lens, is not so strange once you look at it from a different position.
- Walter adds weight to the idea that the subconscious, or the “primal part of the brain” is capable of projecting itself on the world in different manifestations.
- Walters says that “we all had these abilities” until something was done to us in a moment in history when they were “shut down”. Interesting to hear that line again. There’s the established notion that human still have such abilities in the moments after birth, but I think Walter is basically alluding to the limitation being the ‘shut down’. He suspects aliens, that means it’s likely to be humans who are behind it. It also makes me wonder whether people could cross universes before the limitation came into effect?
“I love bacon.”
- What a shame he didn’t love his mom enough to stay for a bit longer.
Best retrospective performer: John Noble.
Best retrospective moment: Peter meeting his mom.
Retrospective episode rating: 9/10
Next rewatch episode – 2.22 “Over There – Part 2” – TBA.